Turkish Residence Permit – Privileges and Requirements
The Turkish government has put in place a clear set of laws governing the residency status of foreigners and their presence on its territory and has allocated a type of residence permit in turkey to each category of people, perhaps, one of the most known types of residence permit is the residence permit in Turkey, of which we will be talking about in the following lines.
Table of Contents
- What is the residence permit in Turkey?
- Privileges of Turkish residence permit
- Turkish residence permit requirements 2021
- Steps to get Turkish residence permit
- Requirements for Turkish residence permit renewal
What is the residence permit in Turkey?
Turkish residence permit is one of the legal frameworks and procedures for residing in Turkish territory.
The residence permit is issued based on an application submitted to the Immigration Department in Turkey, after booking an appointment through the website then having an interview in which the required documents are submitted.
The residence permit is usually granted for a period of one year and it may be renewed under certain conditions as well.
Privileges of Turkish residence permit
The Turkish residence permit privileges are many, perhaps the most important of which are:
- The possibility to travel to Turkey without the need to obtain a visa.
- The holder of a residence permit in Turkey has the right to open a bank account in all Turkish and international banks on the Turkish territory.
- The possibility of applying to obtain electricity, gas, water, and internet services.
- The holder of the residence permit is allowed to own real estate of all types if the holder is from one of the nationalities that are allowed to buy real estate in Turkey.
- The residence permit also allows its holder to buy a car and obtain a Turkish driver's license.
- The residence permit gives your children the right to free education in all public schools.
- The residence permit makes it easy for its holder to obtain a Schengen visa to the European Union countries.
- The residence permit is considered a condition for establishing a new company or obtaining a work permit in Turkey.
Validity of Turkish residence permit
Originally, the duration of the residence permit period is determined by the Immigration Department, but its duration is usually linked to the duration of the provided health insurance, and the duration of the validity of the passport of the applicant.
In general, most residence permits are granted for a period of one year and can be renewed, it may also be granted for a period of two years in few cases. Some provinces grant residence permit for a period of six months the first time then it is renewed for a year the second time.
Turkish residence permit requirements 2021
The Turkish residence permit requirements are:
- Make an appointment for the interview after entering the Turkish territory.
- Entre Turkey through one of its approved ports.
- Obtain a regular visa or enter Turkey with a passport that does not require a visa.
- Providing the required documents.
Steps to get Turkish residence permit
At first, if someone wants to obtain a residence permit in Turkey, it is necessary to fill in the application form for a residence in Turkey through the website of the Immigration Department, which contains several basic information as well as the required documents.
The website will book an appointment for the interview at the earliest possible date, and the location, date, and time of the interview will appear on the page, a copy of which must be kept to be submitted with the documents on the day of the interview.
After that, all the required documents are extracted. We will clarify them shortly.
On the interview day, you can request a translator free of charge to help you communicate with the employee and complete your transaction.
At the end of the interview, the Immigration Department gives you a legal receipt that gives grounds for your presence in Turkey until the residence card is issued, which will be sent to the address written in your official documents.
How to book an appointment for Turkish residence permit
You can book an appointment to apply for a residence permit according to the following steps:
- Go to the official website of the Ministry of Immigration in Turkey via this link: official website of the Ministry of Immigration
- Choose the required language from the top of the screen.
- Fill in the required fields then click on the Save button to save them.
- Then a link with a verification code will be sent to your email or via message to your phone number.
- Go to the sent link and enter the verification code.
- Then you will be redirected to a new page to choose the type of residence required, then choose short-term residence.
- Then finish filling in the sections and click on the Next button.
- You will then be redirected to a new page to schedule your interview.
- After selecting the date, be sure to print the appointment page which contains the date and place of the interview.
Turkish residence permit documents
The documents required to obtain a residence permit are:
- Residence application form signed by the applicant.
- For minor children, you must submit a copy of the family book or a family record translated by a sworn translator into Turkish and ratified by the notary, and the parents or guardians will sign the request on behalf of the child.
- Proof of the place of residence through the contract of the house rented and live in.
- The original passport.
- A translation of the passport into the Turkish language by the notary.
- 4 Recent personal photos (biometric).
- Tax Number (Vergi Numarası), which can be obtained from the tax department.
- A payment receipt copy of the application fee.
- Health insurance (Sigorta) for those between 18 and 65 years old, and the amount of which usually varies according to the age group.
Turkish residence permit fees
Usually, Turkish residence permit fees vary depending on the nationality.
The price of the health insurance policy (Sigorta) also varies between one person and another according to the age group but the elderly people are exempted from the condition of obtaining a health insurance, specifically, those who are over the age of 65 years, as well as the children and minors who are under 18 years old.
How long does it take to get Turkish residence permit?
If you are wondering how long does it take to get Turkish residency? Well, the period you wait until receiving the residence permit after the interview varies from one person to another, but it does not exceed 90 working days maximum.
In most cases, it takes about 45 days and more in Istanbul.
Turkish residence permit query
Anyone can inquire about the residence permit stay and in which stage they have become by calling the number 157.
And by using the answering machine, you can reach an employee who is fluent in the language you speak to answer your questions.
When calling this number, we recommend that you put all the supporting documents (such as the passport and residence receipt) in your hands to give the employee the right information, which will make it easier to get the information you want.
Requirements for Turkish residence permit renewal
The Turkish state has set several criteria for the renewal of Turkish residence permit in Turkey for foreigners who are residing on its territory, and the residence permit renewing procedures must begin sixty days before the expiry date at most.
What documents do I need for Turkish residence, you may wonder?
The documents required for the first time are the same when renewing, but with some minor differences, which are:
- Turkish residence permit application form.
- A copy of the passport ratified by the notary.
- A copy of the previous residence permit card.
- 4 Recent personal photos (biometric).
- Valid health insurance that covers the entire residence period.
- A payment receipt copy of the application fee.
- Proof of residence.
- A ratified translation copy of the family book or the family record (for minors).
- A copy of the residence permit of the parents or legal guardian (for minor children).
Edited by: Gars Consulting Company©
Work Residency in Turkey- Privileges and Requirements
In this article, you will learn about the steps needed to obtain a work residence permit in Turkey, its requirements, an...
Privileges of Real Estate Residence in Turkey and how to get it
what is the real estate residence in Turkey, what are the privileges? Learn more about the requirements, the procedures,...
Privileges of Turquoise Card for Forgierner Investors in Turkey
Learn more about the turquoise card and its requirements. Turkey grants it to the foreigner investors as it provides a v...